Friday, November 20, 2009

What could this be?

I have a six month old son. The other day, I noticed he had a sort of rash on his back. You couldn't really see it, but you could feel it. Over the next couple of days, it also appeared on his legs, chest/stomach, and a tiny bit on his face. The last check-up we had at the pediatrician, he had broken out on his face only. She determined that he had severely sensitive skin. It doesn't seem to bug him much, and he has had a few low grade fevers. But he has a cold at the same time, as well as he's getting his second tooth. So I don't know whether the fever is just coming with the cold/teething or if it's associated with the rash. Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be? I plan to take him to the doctor, but I'm kind of flipping out(just a little!) and would like to hear if anyone else has had this happen. I looked up skin rashes on webmd.com and none of them sounded like what he has. Could it possibly be eczema? Any input would help, maybe calm my nerves a little. Thanks in advance|||Don't panic. Babies, in general, have sensitive skin. Depending on the climate you live in, it could be the heat, the cold, etc. Take him to the dr. and I am sure they can diagnose whatever it is, or at least make recommendations to you. I'm assuming, and this might be a silly question, that you are using baby detergent? And also trying a double rinse in the wash cycle? You will prbably get some sort of cream from the doctor, but I don't think its anything to be considerably worried about. But, I, along with other mother's would feel the exact same way!|||My son had THE SAME thing! For months he had this rash! I did everything I could. I used baby detergent on ALL of our clothes, NO dryer sheets, but nothing really worked. Eventually he grew out of it. All I could really come up with was the weather changes. Winter time, skin gets dry, Summer time heat rash. . . He sounds just fine to me. Hope this helps.|||look kids bodies are crazy they react to everything hes probably getting hits teeth and his body is responding to a foreign object witch is his teeth.also check for asmath


thats the sign i got when my son had and attach so take him to the doctor and tell them to check his breathing twice|||You might want to stop using the new fabric softener and see if that helps. If not, try using the detergent made for babies. Maybe he's on his back a lot more, maybe it's the fabric. maybe he's alergic to it. It could be so many things from creams and lotions to soap you wash him with or his clothes. Just start eliminating them one by one and see what changes. I don't think it is serious tho, most kids have some sort of rash some time or another.|||My babies had this same thing. Patches of rashes that you couldn't really see. It also used to be just on the face, then patches on the back and they sometimes got bigger. It was eczema. Their doctor prescribed them some elidel and it worked great!|||This happened with my daughter last winter. Does his skin feel dry to you? My daughter had dry skin with tiny bumps that were slightly pink. It changed from different parts of her body. The doctor said he thought it was eczema caused by the air being dry. He said it would clear up as the weather got warmer and he was right. In the meantime, the doctor told me to use cortizone cream on it, and it seemed to ease it up a bit then. Cortizone is a steroid, so I was to use it only once a day. I usually put it on her after her bath. Check with your doctor about using this, because my daughter was just over a year old when this happened. I am not sure if it would be safe to use on a six month old or not. Good luck to you.|||2 of my children got a similar rash for a few months while they teething, I would AVOID any cortisone creams (my opinion) my eldest daughter ended up with eczema about 4 year of age and prolonged use of it has left her skin blotchy (she's 11 now) Good luck!!|||My daughter is now 2 years old and we have been dealing with this for almost the whole time. Whether it has been in winter or summer she still has the rash. The doctor has prescribed her an ointment to put on her called Hydrocort. We have also found that Cetaphyl Lotion (even the generic) works very well. Cetaphyl also has a bath soap that you can use and that also has helped. When you bathe your son make sure the temp of the water is on the cooler side of warm, the hotter the water the more it will dry out your sons skin.


Hope this has helped!!!|||When my children have developed a rash on their skin, I have tried a combination of things, and their rashes always cleared up.





If I thought it was reaction to something that was touching their skin, I would:





Change laundry detergent to one with no dyes and no perfumes.





Stop using fabric softener (which has dyes and perfumes).





No lotions or powders on their skin (again avoiding dyes and/or perfumes).





Only bathe baby with water - soap is not needed. If baby does need to be cleaned with more than just water every so often, ivory soap works well, but again, this would be very seldom.





Rubbing pure olive oil or almond oil on baby after bath can help.





Rubbing rash areas with a little flax oil (which is full of good essential fatty acids) has been helpful for some babies.





Give them some vitamin C to help reduce inflammation (with an infant, I would use the powdered vitamin C in a little apple juice, or, more recently, I will put some Emergen-C in water, and only allow them to drink ¼ of it at a time (4 doses throughout the day) to bowel tolerance. If they got diarrhea from too much vitamin C, I would just back off on the amount of Vitamin C I was giving. 1 Packet of Emergen-C has 1,000 mg. of Vitamin C. You can get this at health food / vitamin stores, Trader Joe’s, Raleys – most grocery stores with a vitamin or natural foods department. When my little ones are on vitamin C, their urine becomes more acid, so I need to change their wet diapers more frequently.





If I thought the rash might be food related, I started with looking at the Blood Type Diet. There is a book called “Eat Right 4 Your Baby”. It has excellent suggestions for which foods to introduce when, according to baby’s blood type. Certain foods can cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. You can probably get this book at your local library, or Eat Right 4 Your Type or Living Right 4 Your Type. They are all authored by Dr. Peter D’Adamo. Here’s a link to the book on Amazon.





You may be able to find a natural alternative to cortisone. You don’t want to use cortisone if at all possible. It can build up to toxic levels in the body, over time.





If you are nursing, then you should look at the blood type diet for yourself to see if there is possibly something you are eating that would bother baby. Everything you ingest goes into your breast milk.





My Blood type A baby reacted to the cow milk products I was eating. He developed a stuffy nose when he was just a few weeks old, and the doctor gave him a decongestant – thought he had a cold. However, the stuffy nose continued for many weeks, and then someone gave me a copy of Eat Right 4 Your Type, and I looked at what causes congestion in a Blood Type A person, and it’s cow milk products. I stopped eating dairy products, and baby’s congestion cleared right up. Every so often I would try re-introducing dairy back into my diet, and baby always got a stuffy nose again, so I avoided dairy for 2 ½ years, while I nursed him. It’s just a good example of how what Mama eats goes into the breast milk, and can affect baby.





If baby is on formula, then trying a different formula may help. Also, formula fed babies can be defficient in essential fatty acids, so possibly a little flax seed oil mixed into applesauce would help the rash to clear up.





If baby is nursing, mom should be sure she is getting enough essential fatty acids in her diet. Cod liver oil or some other fish oil is great, and flax oil is good too. I take 1T of flax oil a day, and I'm nursing my toddler.





From experience, when I noticed my babies getting cradle cap, I started taking flax oil, and because that raised the essential fatty acids in my breast milk, baby's cradle cap cleared up.





Just a few suggestions from a mother of 5 :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment